Sunday 3 October 2010

After the draft

I'm busy working through the second (and for me final) draft of the novel I'm ghosting. It's the third act of a trilogy, so by the end of the editing process ie the end of the month I'll be ready to move on.

What's next, I hear you cry?

Could be any one of a number of things, some of which I've already talked about on this blog. I have a couple of outlines under development, one of which I want to flesh out into sample chapters, although the historical setting means doing research - always a chore for me, although I enjoy the rewards. I'm also tinkering with an old, old idea I've had on the back burner for a very long time. If it ever comes to fruition, it'll be a mammoth project, my most ambitious yet. Up to now, I've only ever had shards of story, half-formed characters and a vivid series of mental images, all bobbing around like untethered balloons. Oh, and 22,000 words of manuscript for an aborted novel called Pilot that only my agent and I have ever read (we both agreed it wasn't going anywhere). Just lately though I've begun to see a shape for the thing, a structure on to which I may actually be able to attach some of those balloons. If the structure holds up, maybe I'll tell you about it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment