Monday 31 January 2011

127 Hours

I saw 127 Hours yesterday, so thought I'd review it today. I've tried writing my reactions to the movie a dozen times, but I just keep ending up with a list of Reasons Why I Like Danny Boyle movies. So that's exactly what I'm going to give you.

1. Dynamic camera angles
2. Energetic editing, plus profoundly lyrical bits
3. A deep commitment to using the above cinematic techniques in service of the story rather than as an end in itself
4. A fearless commitment to making each film different from his last (yet still stamping each with his unmistakeable authority)
5. Astonishing performances
6. Penetrating emotion that grows out of all the above
7. Intelligence
8. Wit
9. Cool

127 Hours delivers items 1-9 on my list, and in spades. James Franco's stunning performance and Danny Boyle's boundless energy have created a film that just soars.

Also, I think that's the first time I've seen someone faint in the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment