Tuesday 20 October 2009

Names from the arena

I have a folder on my laptop called The Arena. It's where I put my ideas. Story fragments, outline notes, lists of names or places ... you name it, it's there. Once in The Arena, they scrap it out. Only the strongest survive.

There's something in The Arena right now that wants to be heard. The trouble is, I don't really want to talk about it. The Arena's a hostile place. Sometimes the things in there just wither and die before they even get a chance to take up their weapons. But this particular project already seems to have a life of its own. I've decided to acknowledge that by presenting to you the following list, without preamble or explanation. Just to let it know I'm paying attention.

Abalone
Tiquette
Pyx
Viscero
Ghan
Pyrean


and finally

The Tilt

That's all. Make of it what you will. If the project wins through against the other gladiators in the ring, you'll be the first to know.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to The Arena - I've certainly got one, although I hadn't given it a name. I'd call mine more of a nursery, because there's less of a feeling of the ideas battling and more of them growing. They have the occasional scrap as different characters fight over a particular name or sulk because I want them to do something they don't want to do, but it's not too hostile. ~ Satine

    ReplyDelete